Monday, May 16, 2011

Inspiration when you least expect it

Isn't it funny how we can be going thru our normal daily routines, only to be caught totally off guard by some unexpected wonderful inspiration? It certainly changes my perspective on the day....

Yesterday I was working out at the gym; there is a fellow member there whom I exchange "hello's" with, but usually not much more, who was also there. This gentleman is probably about my age, and handicapped; you see, he struggles to walk, and staggers a lot (almost to the point of falling....but he never does). His speech is also quite slurred and he has very limited use of his upper extremities as well. Over the past few months I have come to learn that his name is Todd, so I struck up a conversation with him yesterday as we were both lifting some free weights. We got on the subject of swimming and he explained that he loved to swim, but hasn't been able to since his accident. When I asked him what happened, he told me he was in a horrible auto accident on Feb. 2, 1985 - it was snowing out and he lost control of his car coming home from work, and a van hit him. Between intensive care and rehab facilities, he wasn't able to return home for 2 years. In the blink of an eye his life totally changed forever.

He had to relearn everything -- how to talk, walk, feed himself -- everything. I learned that he earned his drivers license again after the accident, and now lives independently by himself.

This wonderful man has an incredible spirit, and holds no bitterness about what happened to him. He goes to the gym every day to strengthen his muscles and build his strength up as best as he can. Things that we take for granted every single day are a struggle for him, yet he never complains.
We finished up our conversation I gave him a hug, and told him what an inspiration he is.

As I watched him stumble away with a smile on his face to go chat with some other club members, it really hit me just how very blessed I am. I complain about my body and the fact I can't lose those last 10 pounds, and how I wish I could run a 7 minute mile. I get so caught up in the everyday stuff of life that I forget to step back and see things for what they truly are -- a blessing from God.

I'm going to do my best to reflect on this experience every single day, to not take for granted this body that moves when and where my brain directs it. To be thankful that I am able to run, regardless of my pace. Thankful for my wonderful family and friends who fill my life with so much joy & love.

Todd, you are truly an inspiration. Thanks for opening my eyes up to the blessings that surround my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment