Monday, April 4, 2011

The other side of the fence

Yesterday I had the good fortune of volunteering at the ORRRC's half and full marathon in Xenia. I've run this race the past 2 years, but didn't this year because of a surgery has that affected my training a bit. It's a wonderful race.......always draws a big crowd too. I believe there were over 800 runners there yesterday.

It was such a GREAT experience in so many ways. First of all, I really enjoyed "giving back".....when I first started running I had no idea of the logistics of planning a race, not to mention ALL the volunteers who donate their time and energy to be there for the runners. If you are a runner, please thank the volunteers when you see them at races. It sure puts a smile on their face to know they are valued.

I was at mile marker 1, as well as the finish line.....both ends of the spectrum for sure! Mile 1 was a blast, everyone was in great spirits and happy to be running. The finish line was a different story, at least for some of the runners. Some were jubiliant, some were angry at their finish times, and some got sick. :) Thankfully, I was able to dodge the bullet on that one and quickly got out of the way.

Reflecting upon all the experiences of the day, I realized how much I do love this sport. I run because I love how it makes me feel....empowered. If you had told me some 9 years ago that I would be a runner with three marathons under my belt by 2011, I would have looked at you like you were from Mars. Let's face it, a 250 pound runner wasn't in my vocabulary....nope, this girl was quite the coach potato. So many wasted years! Hindsight truly is 20/20.

 I certainly am not the fastest runner out there, but I am not out there trying to qualify for Boston either. Sure, I love setting a PR, but my finish times don't define me as a runner. When I cross that finish line, whether it be a 5k, half or full marathon, I feel like a rock star......no one or no thing can take that feeling away from me, not even a crappy finish time. Every race is a success in my book!

I really hope and pray that I can help others achieve this goal too....it certainly is a magical moment when you can say "I did it!" There's not many feelings that can top it!

No comments:

Post a Comment