Saturday, June 28, 2014

Holding out for a HERO

Do you remember the 80’s movie “Footloose” starring Kevin Bacon?

The popular musical theme was a Bonnie Tyler song titled “Holding out for a Hero”.....
Here’s a quick snippet of the lyrics:

“Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life…”

This evening I was fortunate enough to witness evidence of a true hero in my life, whom which I not only share my life with but also my heart.

Jack and I set out for our usual evening “block walk”, which is named to induce his last poop of the day. As we departed on our usual lap tonight, the temps were warm and the sun was high in the sky. However, as the typical summer storms of late have proven, the skies quickly changed and become dark and foreboding.

As the thunder started to boom, and winds began to blow, my young pup began to grow anxious, as this is still all new to him and his puppy brain.
As we rounded the block, still about halfway home, the rain began to pour down - in buckets. Jack was not a happy camper -and me, still gimping along in my clunky, confining boot- well, it was only a matter of 10 seconds before we were both completely drenched. If it was only me, if would have been OK, for I know I wasn't too terribly far from home, and chances are all would be well. However, as a puppy “Mom”, I could see the anxiety in Jack’s eyes for what was happening all around him. He couldn’t even begin to comprehend all of what was unfolding before his eyes.

No sooner than I realized how stressed out my boy was, and how awful it was not to be able to get out of the rain any sooner than I could, that my hero appeared…not riding a white steed, but driving a black Ford pickup truck. He had seen the storm roll in and was compelled to search the block to rescue Jack & I and save us from the storm.

Even though we weren’t far from home, seeing John driving down the street to rescue Jack & I was awesome. I was very moved, and Jack and I welcomed his warm, dry truck as refuge!

I am still counting my blessings for the special boys in my life. Toby Turtle, for being, well, his turtle-wonderful himself! Jack is my special young man who fills the void Daisy girl left…..and my beloved husband John, whom I have had the supreme pleasure of being married to for almost 25 years. We’ve been thru thick and thin, ups & downs, and have grown stronger and better with each passing day. He truly is my HERO, and for that, I am most thankful.

Everyday HEROES are wonderful gifts, never to be taken for granted in this girls book.






No comments:

Post a Comment